Here is a summary of the crafts I demonstrated for Great Day Houston. The links to the websites where I found them are also listed below. I made some modifications, especially to the flowers pens choosing to use beads and adding pipe cleaner around the pen as well. Enjoy!
Almost No Sew Hip Makeup Bag
Difficulty: AverageAge: 8 and up
Parental supervision is recommended
This hip and funky makeup bag makes a perfect homemade gift or any cool mom. A pretty fabric matched with a bright button makes for a lovely present that mother can truly use. A great gift for Mother’s Day. Be sure to visit our other great Mother’s Day fun including crafts to make, cards for mom and recipes to spoil her withon Mother’s Day!
What you’ll need:
- Sturdy fabric with pretty pattern, 14” x 8”
- Colorful button to match fabric
- Thread to match fabric
- Needle or sewing machine
- Permanent fabric glue
How to make it:
- Cut fabric into two pieces, 9” x 8” and 5” x 8”.
- Lay 9” piece of fabric right side up on table. Lay 5” piece of fabric right side down on top of larger piece of fabric. Line up bottom to bottom (8” side) on one end and glue the edges together (right sides together) with a thin strip of glue.
- Now that the 8″ ends are glued together, flip the fabric over so the wrong sides are facing up. For the non-glued 8″ ends, fold the edge of the fabric over so that 1/2inches or less of the right side of the fabric is folded over the wrong side of the fabric. Glue on the inside of the fold to create finished edges.
- With wrong sides still facing up, glue a seam along both long sides. All edges should now have seams.
- With fabric laying wrong side up, take smaller end (5” x 8”) and fold it up and glue the wrong sides of the smaller and larger pieces together to complete the formation of the bag.
- Fold long top flap (9” x 8”) down until it meets the top of the bag, glue the complete inside the flap so wrong sides are stuck together.
- Use scissors to cut a button hole in the center of the flap.
- Fold flap over the bag and use a pen or pencil to make a dot through the hole and onto the bag fabric for placement of the button.
- Sew button securely onto front of bag.
- Sew edges of button hole to keep them from fraying.
- Close bag and secure button through hole.
- Be sure to choose a sturdy fabric. It should feel fairly stiff and hold its shape.
- Instead of a button you may choose a fastener, available at discount department or fabric stores. For kids who are not comfortable using a needle and thread, you can have them glue the button on the outside for decoration, but use a piece of Velcro on the inside for the closure.
- Some permanent fabric glues are messy and take a long time to dry. Ask your local fabric store about the different types available.
Cereal Box Scrapbook
Difficulty: Very EasyParental supervision is recommended
Not just for breakfast anymore, this cereal box scrapbook is a great craft kids that you can make by recycling materials from around the house. It’s the perfect all-in-one crafting and cleaning project!
What you’ll need:
- Cereal box
- Gift wrap
- Brown paper bags
- Hole punch
How to make it:
- Snip off one side and the bottom of the cereal box. Keep the front and back in one piece.
- Cover with gift wrap or construction paper.
- To make pages, cut pieces of brown bag the same size.
- Punch two holes in the front and back cover.
- Punch holes in the pages to match the cover.
- Put the pages in between the cover and string the holes with the shoelace and tie into a bow if you’d like. Add more pages as needed.
Make a simple scrapbook to take with you if you are going on a trip and would care to have some souvenirs.
- Pot of Flower Pens
|Craft a gift that everyone will love! This pot of flower pens would make a great gift for Mother’s day and is fun to craft with our easy instructions. Make a bunch of flower pens and put them in a basket to give out as party or shower favors or to sell at a local fundraiser.
- Cut a piece of floral foam to fit inside your pot and place it in the pot. We used a clay pot but feel free to substitute any other type of pot that appeals to you.
- Squirt some tacky glue on top of the floral foam and cover it with the artificial grass. Your pot is now complete. Place it aside while you make the flower pens.
- It is important that you use the pens that are flat on top – NOT the click type pens. This type of pen has a black or blue button on one end. Discard the cap that came on the pen.
- Using a hand drill* make a hole in the plastic button on the end of each pen. If you don’t have a hand drill find something else to make a hole in the end of the pen or try to pop the button off the end. This step should be completed by an adult.
- Wrap the floral tape around the stick of the pen stopping just as you get to the black or blue piece at the point of the pen. When using floral tape, stretch it as you wrap.
- For each pen, pull one flower off of a bunch of flowers and stick it in the hole you made at the top of the pen. If the hole is too small, stick a metal object such as an awl or pick in the end and wiggle it to stretch the hole out. If the flower is too loose in the hole, glue it in place.
- Poke the flower pens into the floral foam in the pot and your Pot of Flower Pens is now complete.
Idea: Fill a glass container or pot with brown kidney beans or decorative stones and stick then pens into them.